As a future Castaway Cay crew member, our goal is to help you adapt to your new environment and home once you arrive on the island. The below information is high level and is intended to complement the general crew information.
Important documents that you must have with you when traveling:
- Visa, if applicable
- Signed Contract
- Original safety certificates (Personal Survival Techniques, Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities, Crowd Management)
Life on Castaway Cay – Disney Cruise Line Jobs
Most Crew Members share a cabin and this can be with one or more Crew Members.Show More
Each crew cabin has limited space and is equipped with:
- A bed for each Crew Member
- A bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet
- A small closet/storage space for personal belongings
- A small lockable area to store valuables
- A desk
- A TV/DVD player
"Crew Only" Areas
In addition to your cabin, a variety of “Crew only” spaces are available for your use, relaxation and enjoyment when you are not working. These include:Show More
- Crew laundry areas (use of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards is free of charge)
- Computer room (internet is free of charge for Island Crew only)
- Crew gym featuring state-of-the-art exercise equipment; accessible 24 hours a day
- Crew store (offering a small selection of items such as laundry detergent, toothpaste, bottled water, etc. which can be purchased at Bahamian prices; DVD rentals)
- Crew cafeteria
- Crew bar and recreation/relaxation room with games, books, pool tables, etc.
- Private Crew beach area for ship and Island Crew
Comfortable, casual clothing such as shorts, jeans, athletic pants, and t-shirts of good taste are acceptable throughout the year.Show More
You will be living in the Bahamas where the climate is tropical throughout the year. It can be rather humid on most days with showers during the rainy season.
Despite the warm temperatures, long sleeve options and/or pants are helpful to prevent bug bites and/or sunburn. Pants and long sleeve shirts are recommended for winter months. A sweater, wind breaker and/or light jacket for cooler mornings and evenings is also recommended. Do not forget that you will likely be wearing your crew costume more frequently, so pack conservatively.
In addition to casual clothing, we suggest you bring at least one nice outfit to wear for special occasions or crew events. Sunglasses, suntan lotion and/or bug spray are also strongly recommended.
Arrive prepared! You must provide your own shoes to complete your costume/uniform. Prior to purchasing your shoes, review the shoe flyer and Disney Cruise Line Look Book. These resources provide photographs of what is considered an appropriate shoe choice and meet the Disney Look requirements.Show More
It is necessary to purchase your shoes before you arrive on the island; otherwise, you will not be ready to start your training. Please plan accordingly.
Important planning note for select positions:
Island Maintenance Crew, Culinary Staff and Stewards will receive one complimentary pair of safety shoes.
For a complete look into the Disney Look standards, look at the Disney Look BookDisney Look
Crew Pay and Banking
You will be paid every other week based on a payroll calendar and will be paid in U.S. dollars or Bahamian dollars (depending on position). Crew members receive their pay via a “Pay Card” or via direct deposit into a U.S. bank account. Once you embark the ship and/or arrive on the island, you will activate your Pay Card and learn more about how your Pay Card works and/or have the opportunity to set up direct deposit.
For the most part, the island also uses a cashless system for charging purchases to your crew account. The exception to this is to purchase a phone card in which cash is required.
Crew Members have a few choices in regards to how to conduct personal banking. With your Pay Card, you will be able to:
- Withdraw cash from any ATM that displays the Visa logo, including onboard ATMs located in crew areas onboard the ships; NOTE: an ATM is not available on the island.
- Use your card to make purchases anywhere Visa is accepted: in stores and online (Credit requires a signature OR Debit requires a 4-digit PIN)
- Do free over-the-counter withdrawals or cash advances at ANY bank that accepts Visa in the U.S. and internationally
- Transfer or wire money from your payroll card account to another financial account (US or internationally) for a small fee
- Elect to have a second Pay Card or Companion Card issued; this card will be tied to your Pay Card account and can be used by a spouse, domestic partner, etc.
All crew members are responsible for paying their own taxes, and must comply with all laws of their country of residence, including without limitation, those relating to income taxes, social security and/or national insurance taxes and fees. U.S. Federal tax withholding is required for all U.S. citizens, residents and U.S. passport holders. If you have questions regarding taxes, please consult a tax expert within your country. Due to the complexity of tax requirements by each country, Disney Cruise Line is unable to provide tax assistance or advice.